The following is a brief summary of what occurred:
- In August/14, my company purchased 1168 Pendrell Street.
- We quickly learned that the vendor’s resident caretaker of ten years was close friends with the vast majority of tenants
and was allowing them to violate significant lease terms such as the requirement to maintain insurance, obtaining
landlord approval for subleasing their units and storing bicycles in the building’s small laundry room
instead of storage lockers provided by the landlord.
- Our requests to tenants to fulfill these types of lease obligations were ignored or refuted by them.
- Under the Residential Tenancy Act, the only recourse a landlord has to enforce a lease is to issue a formal Notice to tenants.
- Tenants interpreted these Notices as a veiled attempt by us to replace them with tenants willing to pay higher rents.
- They took their story to sympathetic press and vote-seeking, local politicians.
- The truth is that we have never evicted any of the original tenants despite having the legal right to do so when, in
some cases, their fixed term leases expired. In fact, we’ve offered lease renewals to all original tenants at the same rent
which they had been previously been paying.
- I held a press conference on Sep 12/14 to address this situation.
- Since this time, my company has made a concerted effort to improve these tenant relationships. As you’ll find by
conducting an online search, there has been no negative press during the last seven months.
- This situation was definitely a learning experience and I believe that it could have possibly been avoided with more patience on my part.
I am confident that it won’t recur.
- In Jan/15, my company acquired the 28 unit apartment building located at 1540 Haro Street. We have developed excellent tenant relationships
at this building and there have been no comparable, negative tenant experiences. I currently own 4 multi‐family properties in the West End.
I take the responsibilities of ownership very seriously and strive to be a positive force in this community. In order to provide you with more details,
I have attached the following documents to this letter:
- 1) Letter delivered to MLA Spencer Chandra Herbert on September 12/14
- 2)Press Conference Notes September 12/14
- If you prefer, I am available to discuss this matter in person or by phone.